Thursday, January 9, 2014

Surgery Day 2 first weeks

That night I wasn't able to sleep. I was so nervous! I felt ill. I was his first patient. I felt lucky but I usually over think things that I started thinking maybe this is a bad idea to be his first patient. Is he fully awake? Ohh gosh I am crazy.

After I was admitted. I was set up with my IV line, vitals and signed consents. Talked to the anesthesiologist. She examined my mouth making sure I didn't have lose teeth. I was told I would be intubated and the vent would be breathing for me. I was so freaked out.

I was wheeled into Op room 10 it was an old cold room smelled sterile. There was an xray machine crash cart and a lot of instruments and doctors waiting on me. My name written on a dry erase board in purple letters and my orif procedure. I remember they told me I would be going to sleep and I would feel really really drunk. It felt like only ten minutes had passed by the time I had woken up. But according to my mother the surgery was 5 hours long.

I woke up yelling pain!!! Pain!!! That's all I felt hot and burning throbbing pain. I would slip and wake up to this pain. In the recovery room I was only separated from others through thick hospital curtains in the middle there was the nurses station. One approached me asking me if I need any more pain medications I nodded and dozed off.

About 30 minutes later I woke up again with major pain. The pain medication had worn off. I felt really bad. the Dr. stopped by to speak to me. "The surgery was a success you won't be needing any additional surgery". I was relieved he told me I had lost some bone and he was able to remove the piece. I am now the proud owner of 2 plates and 10 screws according to him I will be sporting for a life time.

I had an accident I couldn't hold my bladder and I pee on the recovery bed. I was very ashamed but it happens. Dr. told me I was free to go home and follow up in 2 weeks. The nurse helped me get dressed and wheeled me to the main entrance with my mom.

I will let you guys know that those 3 weeks where the most painful weeks I have ever experienced in my life. I wasn't able to stand up without having my leg pound in pain feeling the blood rush to the bottom of my foot. It was horrible pain I wouldn't want anyone to experience.

That night I must have woken about 15 times needing to use the restroom. And every time I stood up the pain was so unbearable I felt I was going to pass out.

I was taking Morphine along with Norco and I was only touching my pain level. The advice I can give you is elevation. Elevate the hell out of your foot above your nose. I felt tons of discomfort in my splint the bottom of my heel burned. I felt my pinkie losing sensation because the bottom of the splint was wrapped around my toes. I was tired my back hurt so much those 2 weeks where the worst in my life.

Follow up day with the surgeon. Xray was taken healing was going great no infection. I was given the option to use a cam boot or he would apply a cast. My swelling was gone. I will post pictures as soon as I can. Of course I opted for the boot. He told me I can take it off to sleep and any time I wasn't up. I was told to start practicing dorsiflexion. My range of motion was gone and my calf muscle was wasted away. That day he pushed my foot mimicking a walking motion and oh my god was it painful. I quickly jumped up and yelled we still have more time!! He said move it or lose it darling. He gave me more medications and told me to follow up in 3 weeks. I left happy because even though I wasn't able to bear weight I didn't have to carry that nasty splint I could sleep with an ace bandage. Also he told me I could sleep any way I wanted just as long as I didn't experience pain.

I could see some light or the beginning of a long tunnel. And I need to move forward. Let the long journey begin!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment